Article Text

PDF

New rapid identification test for Clostridium difficile.
  1. S T Aspinall,
  2. S F Dealler
  1. Public Health Laboratory, Royal Preston Hospital.

    Abstract

    AIMS: A set of five tests were developed and tested for their ability to confirm the identity of C difficile colonies within 30 minutes. METHODS: The relevant substrates were incorporated into four filter paper squares attached to a plastic carrier (Diffstrip), five enzymes/products (prolyl aminopeptidase, galactosidase, leucine aminopeptidase, acid phosphatase and indole). The strips were inoculated, incubated for 20 minutes, and reagents added. RESULTS: 96.4% (212 of 220) strains of C difficile were immediately differentiated from 51 other Clostridium spp tested. The remaining 3.6% (eight of 220) of C difficile isolates produced a reaction pattern similar to some of the Clostridium sporogenes tested and required additional tests. None of the other Clostridium spp tested produced reaction patterns similar to C difficile. CONCLUSION: The Diffstrip allowed colonies of C difficile to be confirmed within 30 minutes for 96.4% of isolates, with less than 4% requiring any additional tests. No strains of C difficile were misidentified and no strains of other Clostridium spp tested were misidentified as C difficile.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.