Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Cytogenetic complexity and heterogeneity in intravascular lymphoma


Aims To characterise the karyotypic abnormalities and heterogeneities in intravascular lymphoma (IVL).

Methods G-banded karyotyping was performed on biopsy specimens from a single-centre IVL cohort comprising intravascular large B-cell lymphoma (IVLBCL, n=12) and NK/T-cell lymphoma (IVNKTCL, n=1).

Results Five IVLBCL cases and one IVNKTCL case (total 46%) were found to have normal karyotypes, and the cytogenetic abnormalities observed in the other seven IVLBCL cases (54%) were investigated further. These seven karyotypes were uniformly complex with an average of 13 aberrations. The seven cases all had abnormalities involving chromosome 6, with 57% involving structural abnormalities at 6q13, and chromosome 8, with 43% involving abnormalities at 8p11.2. In addition, 71% had aberrations at 19q13. On average, 4.4 chromosomal gains and losses were detected per case. Cytogenetic heterogeneities were observed in six cases (86%) and tetraploidy in three cases (43%). There was no significant difference in progression-free survival (p=0.92) and overall survival (p=0.61) between the IVLBCL cases with complex and normal karyotypes.

Conclusion Approximately half of IVLBCL cases had a highly heterogeneous pattern of karyotypes with different clonal numerical and structural chromosome aberrations.

  • intravascular lymphoma
  • cytogenetic abnormality
  • karyotype
  • G-band
  • gene rearrangement
  • prognosis

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.